What is the U3A?
- The U3A (University of the Third Age) is a voluntary community organisation.
- It provides opportunities for learning for older people enabling them to keep mentally and physically active and alert.
How do I qualify to join the U3A?
- No qualifications are required to join and enrol in classes other than being 50 years of age or older and retired or semi-retired.
- There are no examinations and no certificates.
What does “University of Third Age” mean?
- The term “University” is used in the original sense of an association or community of teachers and scholars united in the pursuit of knowledge.
- The “Third Age”, which follows the “First Age” of childhood and formal education and the
- “Second Age” of working life, is one of active retirement where a wide range of interests are pursued to enhance the self image and well being of older persons.
What are the aims of the U3A?
- To be a fully autonomous, self-supporting and voluntary organisation
- To provide a creative use of leisure time
- To establish and maintain educational, cultural and physical programmes
- To broaden intellectual horizons irrespective of background
- To promote and further the concept and adoption of U3A in the general community and municipality
- To seek and maintain contact with organisations and individuals involved with the U3A
Why should I join a U3A?
- Learning should not stop as we get older.
- The U3A provides social & intellectual stimulation for retired people aged 50 years and over.
- Classes are designed to be enjoyable as well as educational.
The U3A gives you the opportunity to learn something that you have always intended to learn but have not had the time to pursue.
How does the U3A operate in Moonee Valley?
- The U3A Moonee Valley (U3AMV) is composed of and run by retired or semi-retired people aged 50 years and over.
- A general committee is elected by the members at the Annual General Meeting in December.
- Tutors and other leaders are volunteers who are generally drawn from the membership.
- Members are encouraged to become active participants in the classes.
- All administration is undertaken by volunteer members.
- The Moonee Valley City Council generously provides us with an office at Emerald Street.
- The U3AMV does not own any premises’.
What does this U3A offer its members?
- U3AMV offers a wide range of classes over two semesters per year.
- Classes, which may be short or long, range from formal language studies through to fun pursuits.
- All courses are run during the day for the convenience of members at a range of venues within the Moonee Valley area.
- Some tutors are retired academics but members who have acquired knowledge and skills are encouraged to teach a course in their specialty.
- Many tutors are also participants in other classes.
How do I enrol in Classes?
- Only current financial members of U3AMV may be enrolled in our classes.
- We cannot guarantee entry into any particular classes as class sizes are restricted by the limitations of the venues.
- Enrolment is available via our Join Page .
- Enrolments in classes are processed strictly in date order subject to availability.